All Saints Church has been in Southbrook Street since 1908. The large expansion of Swindon at the time meant the need for schools and a Church. To cope with this need, Ferndale Infants, Junior and Senior school were built and the dedication of the temporary All Saints Church was held on April 11th 1908.
The original Church was a wood and concrete building which stood for over 30 years. However, in 1929 it was decided, following further development of the area and a growing congregation, that a new Church needed to be built which could hold lots more people.
The foundation stone for the new, permanent Church was laid on November 27th 1937 and building work was completed on September 17th 1938. The Church was consecrated by the Bishop of Bristol at the time, Dr Clifford Sailsbury Woodward. The old Church was used as a parish hall from 1938 until its demolition in 1976. The land it stood on now houses red brick flats.
Even through the Second World War, regular worship services continued at All Saints despite some damage being caused to houses in the parish by enemy bombs. Several funerals were held in the Church for those killed in the bombings.
In the 1980's, the Church was vastly modernised, with the Church hall and rooms being updated. In 1994, All Saints was joined together with nearby Church St Barnabas to make a United Benefice. The Rev'd Paul Bennett became the first joint incumbent. The Benefice was joined by St Augustine's Church in 2004.
A sustantial legacy was given to All Saints in 1996 which allowed further improvements to be made. These included redecoration of the Church, a modern loop hearing system was installed, a new digital organ was purchased and the car park was resurfaced.
All Saints remains at the centre of the Ferndale community and is well placed to face its second century with a thriving congregation.
We are a Fairtrade Church and always will be.